Sunday, May 18, 2008

Next Steps

This time last year I had just graduated from Stetson and I asked myself, along with every other person in my life, "What's next?"  12 months later the same question is floating around again.  Once again, my concrete plans only extend to early August and I am balancing a strong prayer for discernment and guidance with the patience of trust as well as a small fire under me to make "something happen."

It's good to think about what's next because I am simultaneously thinking about what has been and how it has prepared me for what's next.  As I ended college last year I felt the wide-open freedom of adulthood challenging me to start with the right habits and goals and priorities so that I would set my life path on the way that I believed rather than blindly following cultural ideas of practicality.  Although I am always held in family and friendships and community, my decisions were finally becoming my own.  If I wanted to become a person that embraced the simple, radical, counter-cultural way of Jesus, it would be much easier to start with a clean slate than to go with the flow and decide later on that I wanted to undo all the culturally-expected marks of ladder-climbing and consumerism and individualism.

In that way, this year has been a perfect time for laying foundations.  I've been surrounded by a structured program and supportive community to make conscious decisions about how my choices affect me and others.  Will I continue to make these decisions with less structure in my life?  Granted, I won't be making tons of money, but hopefully more than $125/month, so will I still be generous and simplified in my spending?  True, I'll be living with other people, but will I be tempted to live more like roommates rather than intentional community?  Sure, I'll always have my compassionate spirit for the injustices of the world, but without a curriculum of learning will I continue to challenge myself to engage or become increasingly unaware and apathetic?  These are the calls that I am facing in the next transition of my life.

After all my philosophizing, you are still left with the burning questions, "Ok, Sarah, you're a big picture person, but what exactly are you going to be doing?"  You're right.  Good thing I am also very detail-oriented and a go-getter.  That doesn't mean that I know the exact plans yet, but I am working on them, so don't be worried.

Here's a rough skeleton (which is all there is right now) of The Plan:

Job-wise, I have the possibility to stay with my current organization, Sitar Arts Center, but in a different capacity.  This has its benefits and its detractors, so I'm really praying and looking for discernment.  I am also looking into jobs with the Latin American Youth Council (LAYC) and a hunger-and-poverty-focused organization called Bread for the City.

Living-situation-wise, there are several people that I am considering living with next year and keeping with some kind of model of intentional community.  Of my current housemates, Emily and I are definitely sticking together.  Chris, Clay, and Isa are all working on different plans with the possibility of staying in DC and, if so, probably wanting to live in community.  There are also 3 married couples that we know through Church of the Saviour who are interested in community living.  Obviously, not all of these people could fit in one house, but there is also the possibility of living nearby and doing sister-houses and neighborhood community things too.

House-wise, I am actively looking, through networking and Craig's List and classified ads, for large houses for rent within the District.  I'm super-blessed right now to be living in a spacious house in a great location close to the Metro, bus, grocery store, work, church, and friends.  It's still a little early to be looking in the rental market because most landlords don't advertise until a month before the house is ready to rent.  I'm hoping that if I find something now, a landlord might be able to wait till August or rent a short while until we can move in.  Otherwise, it's just the last-minute rental scramble and hopefully something good will come of it.

If you are reading this, you are probably important to me in some way and care about me (as I about you) so I would appreciate your prayers.  I'm excited about life right now and hopeful for what's to come!

No comments: